Thursday, March 16, 2006

sounds like - -



That's me walking around dowtown Halifax with a $10 bag of candy I bought from the Freak Lunchbox. I went a little nuts in there. I should wish I could show you all their stuff. They have 'Gay Accent Mints' and Jesus Christ action figures. Heheh.

Yes, the coat does look a little big but that's probably because it's for winter. I bought it at a thriftstore for $30 and it smells like other people but I like the way it looks and at least it prevents hypothermia.

There’s so much to be done and so much to write about. I don’t know where to start but I guess I should kick this post off with an apology for not having written in the past few days. I would have except:

There are very few internet café’s in this city. Getting to one is a feat beyond my capacity to achieve at this moment. Anyway, even if I’d reached one, the minutes would cost a lot more than they do back home and I would have a hard time paying for it right now, unemployed as I am.

My cousin, Michael has a good laptop with a cable connection but I can’t just drop by to use it because it’s hard to get anywhere in Halifax without a car. And besides, he’s busy preparing for a trip to Scotland and his wife’s got enough to deal with without me hanging around and bugging her all day.

So I’m here, on the one computer in my aunt’s house with internet access which is unbelievably slow. I’ve privately dubbed it ‘Slothra’ and I’m trying very hard to resist bashing in the CPU with one of the firewood logs on our neighbour’s yard.

Words cannot describe how much I miss the Philippines in general, more specifically:

The Noise: It is so fucking quiet here. I wake up in the middle of the night because of the unnatural silence. Not a cricket, chicken, or passing car to be heard. I am in a suburbian vacuum of sound called Dartmouth.

The City: We live in the suburbs and getting to the city entails crossing a bridge, much like getting to Mandaue from Lapu-Lapu. However, even when we do cross that bridge, we find that Halifax is not as big a city as Cebu is.

Sure, it has conveniences and things Cebu doesn’t have like huge supermarkets stuffed with products I’ve only ever heard of or imagined, parking meters, toll booths, shelters for the homeless, sturdy stone architecture, crime-free parks, decent city planning, and so on but there are far fewer people here. It’s strange to go around a place where there aren’t many people crossing the road, running around, playing on the grass, spitting on the sidewalk, selling rags or fruit or newspapers – I guess everyone’s indoors, trying to stay warm.

I’ll never forget flying over Nova Scotia the first time, seeing that tiny little airport in the middle of a thousand leafless trees, telling myself, “There is NO way this is Halifax. Where is the city?” Not a single shelter in sight, not even a little log cabin, just miles and miles of brown trees, dirt, and frozen little lakes. “Probinsya man ni.” Turns out, the city was just far away from the little airport, more visible on the other side of the plane.

Cebu is a bigger city, it’s wilder, more lively, and best of all: HOT.

I miss the humid warmth of the tropics... It is so fucking COLD here. The other day, I got a taste of rain in 2 degree weather and it was so unfun. The unfailing coastal winds drove those little needles of ice into my skin and let me tell ya, they stung.

The People: I miss the people.

But I should stop bitching about stuff. There’s just too much to complain about and it would wear me down to the bone. I mean – here I am in a climate that prompted people to beat baby seals to death just so they could stay warm, trying to learn everything about growing up, attempting to adjust to this massive change with just my sister, no helper, no support from friends or other close family members, trying to make it in a place where the public transport system sucks and you can’t get by without a car, paying outrageous prices for basic commodities, especially food, hoping the power never goes out ‘cause if it ever does and you can't heat your home or water supply, you’re screwed... But there are things here to love.

My family here is really nice. I worried about the differences in our cultures and I thought they wouldn’t be as accommodating as my Pinoy relatives but I was completely wrong. What’s more, I’ve learned more about my father in the past five days than I have in the past five years. It’s fascinating.

And my granny is unbelievable. She’s 82 but she’s still razor sharp and when we arrived at the airport, she pushed my sister luggage cart out to the car herself. That night, she cooked an entire meal by herself for Michael’s going-away party and she lives by herself, totally independent. It’s unbelievable. She could pass for a person in their late 60's too, she so healthy.

My cousins, my aunt, they’re all great and it’s such a relief to be surrounded by people who sympathize with us and really go out of their way to make us feel safe and welcome.

I have no complaints about the food. I mean – much of it is cheesy and bready, totally fattening and pumped with preservatives (mostly) but there are so many healthy alternatives and I could see myself going vegan here easily. For now, however, I’m trying to bulk up. I lost so much weight in the month leading up to our departure.

The people here are mostly very polite and sweet. I don’t know how they stay so chipper in this weather. Maybe the cold makes everyone want to be nicer just so people want to be around them more. I miss people! Send in the crowds.

Yesterday, my sister and I applied for Health Cards at a government building here (‘free’ medical) and it took all of ten minutes. No lines. Can you imagine?

You guys should see what it’s like here. Visit my buzznet account. I have new photos up. I’ll keep posting.

Yesterday, I saw snow for the first time. I ran outside in my pajamas and let it melt on my goose-pimpled skin. It was exhilarating.

The sun’s out! I want to write more but I’m running out of time on this. Write me beh. I’m homesick and I could use a little warmth. Thanks. Ayo ayo.

7 Comments:

Blogger slowmotion said...

James! EMPTY. That's what I actually remember most about the quick trip that I made to Canada years ago. Funny that it took your stories to make me remember that. (And i didn't thnk of warning you about it.) Oh no, mr. city kid ends up in the suburbs! no worry, I'm sure you'll be spending the rest of your life in a city so just try to have fun with the slow (echo?) cold life there for now. We were in Jasper when I was there. I wonder how far or near that is from Halifax. I do remember all the all the all the greeeeeen and the wide empty streets, and how, I swore, everyone must know everyone else. It's no surprise the West is the breeder of all strange stories (most of them at least). take care!

Thursday, March 16, 2006 9:34:00 AM  
Blogger Stefan said...

James, it's so weird I feel like crying. You couldn't haveexpected Halifax to be a proper city when you knew how small the Canadian population was. Did I ever tell you about Fiona, my Catholic music conductor friend who leaves in Halifax? Do you think I should ask her to show you around? She is about our age. A little quirky but lovely.

Thursday, March 16, 2006 2:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to hear you're doing fine there, James, despite having to adjust to a lot of changes. Hope you'd get employed soon. With all these you're saying makes me wanna migrate to Canada too. Looks like life is better there (peaceful, clean, good government, better benefits and services...) but there are just things that can only be found here in the Philippines. SAMOK gyud diri sa Pilipinas ug mao gyud ni ang nakanindot diri. It's THE PEOPLE here that are really different from all other races. THE ATTITUDE they have thats unique and inherent that makes them wonderful from a different point of view. Anyway keep posting and hope to hear more stories. You take care now and extend my regards to Ruth. :-)

Thursday, March 16, 2006 4:58:00 PM  
Blogger Ian Rosales Casocot said...

the first time i saw snow, it was from the air, and all i thought was: "murag vanilla ice cream." thanks for the update, jimmy dean. am still deciding whether to get over my denial you're not a text message away. and yeah, will email soon. i know how that feels like. :)

Friday, March 17, 2006 3:45:00 PM  
Blogger Mitzie said...

Your coat looks fine, James. I like it. In fact, I want one for myself, except that it would be ridiculous to wear something like that in a place close to the equator. =)

Friday, March 17, 2006 6:41:00 PM  
Blogger johnnypanic said...

James! You sound different, in a good way.

here's some smog from davao!

Saturday, March 18, 2006 4:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jay-mee,

did you get my last text message asking about your email? there are so many things that have been happening here. some good, others...well, not good. one of them: jed is moving to the states this 27th wed. i have more to tell you but through mail nalang.

btw, anna (my cousin) and her partner are opening a bookstore/dvd place called purple nook. they were asking for your email too.

tell me soon k? miss you jay-mee. alot of us here could use a little james right now.

on a chipper note, i'm glad you got to learn more about your dad. and i'm extra happy that you're family there is so nice. i was worried about that. mail me soon jaimes.

Sunday, March 19, 2006 5:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home